Welcome

Nobody who knows me would describe me as 'talkative'.  And 'talkative' is generally a good trait where blogging is concerned.  But I'm gonna give it a go anyway, mostly because I want to have one place where I can chronicle my spinning adventures.

I began the 'learning to spin' journey in Spring/Early summer 2008.  I'd just finished my Bachelors Degree, in Visual Communications,  and saying I was tired and worn out from learning is an understatement.  But I love learning and new challenges so I decided that I wanted to learn a new craft, because its fun learning.  Not learning on a schedule.  No grading, no deadlines, failures are much cheaper than x hundreds of dollars.  I toyed with & research many different craft ideas; did I mention that I was unemployed at the time, so it was imperative that the new craft had a 'low cost/cheap' intro to learning path.  A couple of things got ruled out pretty quickly by that criteria:  woodworking, pottery, metal working.  The final two contenders were weaving and spinning.  Buying a loom & looming tools is cheaper than buying a spinning wheel & spinning supplies.  The 'dressing a loom' was not appealing and spinning won.  My first drop spindle & fiber kit was from Maine Wood Yarn and Fiber on Ebay.  Three years later, I have 2 drop spindles, 1 supported spindle, and 4 spinning wheels; two electric and two treadle.

I don't spin on a consistent basis, I frequently go months without touching a spinning wheel.  I'm trying to change that. But enough about me.  Let's move on to actually spinning or at least planning for spinning.

Comments

Popular Posts